Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Flip Flops.

The craziest things make me think of Thailand and my time spent in that dear country:

  • A brief glimpse of a man who looked exactly like the missionary I worked with.
  • Hearing a song sung that I first heard at the church I attended in Bangkok.
  • A facebook comment from a friend saying she was looking at pictures from a trip we took to the aquarium.

Tonight I had another reminder: flip flops. Because of the beautiful weather we've been having, I figured it was high time I got them out. What I wasn't expecting was the feeling that would come with wearing the flip flops. The last time I wore flip flops was in Thailand. Seven months ago. Having lived in Thailand for 15 months, I developed some strong ties to that country, her people, and the dear missionaries I worked with and (justifiably?) get a smidge sentimental and wistful when reminded of my time there.

Right now the flip flops feel strange on my feet. What used to be standard footwear -- even in the "winter" months when it was still 80 degrees out! -- is now strange and a little uncomfortable. My heart is telling me to go jump on a plane and return to Thailand to help some dearly loved missionaries. My brain, however, is being slightly more logical:).

I'm smiling now as I think of a trip being planned for the not-too-distant future when I will be able to return to Thailand... and that time will be with my husband! The memories of my time in Thailand are still there and the work is still going on. Nat and I try to be faithful each night in praying for our dear friends, but I'm thinking I won't forget tonight.

Flip flops... way too many emotions attached to them.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awww...that's sweet!

A Joyful Chaos said...

love how small things can remind us of pleasant memories.

Rachel said...

Hhhmmm...I had the exact same response this week, but my thoughts immediately went to the continent of Africa. Isn't it amazing how something as small as flip-flops can be so emotional?? :}

Jackie said...

Memories...like when you twisted your ankle playing v-ball or was that bare-foot? :o)