Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Simple Truth.

Over the past two months, my Bible reading has been focused in the Psalms. I just flipped through my journal and saw countless verses from the Psalms the Lord fed me with on any particular day. As I think and meditate on His Word, I've noticed a reoccurring theme that really has changed my outlook on day-to-day happenings.

This simple truth the Lord has taught me is just that: simple. I won't say I've conquered this area in my life, but I am more aware of it, which is a good place to start! There are so many verses I could share, and even now as I look for one verse that sums up the lesson the Lord has taught me, I'm torn with which one to share. The very last verse of the book of Psalms does a good job expressing this important truth:

"Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."
Psalm 150:6

In essence, the command from my precious heavenly Father is to praise Him. With all my being. To all people. At all times.

Now I don't know how it is for you, but usually when the Lord shows me something that I need to implement in my life, He'll also give me an opportunity to implement it in my life. Strange, I know!

For instance, last week I thought I was done with a very important project and was relieved it was finished. My surprise was great when I found out that not only was I not done, there were seven pages of corrections that needed to be made to the project. Not good. I was working under a major time constraint, and started to vent my frustration:

"I can't believe he did this to me. He told me everything was correct last week! Now I'm going to have to re-do the whole thing...[complain, complain, complain]."

My attitude was less-than-pleasing to the Lord (and the people around me), and I'm sorry I had that little venting session. The good news is that the Lord did get through my thick head with that still, small voice: "Are you praising me or are you complaining?'

Oh. Right.

Another opportunity came up to praise the Lord in all things when I found out there's a problem with my cell phone in the States. My first thought was, "oh no! All that money I still have to pay." But my sweet Saviour gently prodded and reminded me about praising Him. The situation still hasn't been resolved (that I know of), but you know what? I know that the Lord still wants to be praised regardless of how things turn out.

I hope this is an encouragement to you today as you meditate and rejoice in the Lord. Praising the Lord is the best thing to do in the midst of any circumstances!

"I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works."
Psalm 9:1

No comments: