Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Ants Go Marching.

Are you all familiar with the song, "The Ants Go Marching"? Well, the lyrics say, "the ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah," but I've decided that in order to make this song applicable to our little situation here at the girls dorm, the lyrics must be changed.

To one hundred.

We have a serious ant problem. Or season. Or whatever. Not to long ago, we had a season with cockroaches <--- they were dying at the rate of 11 a day. Yep, eleven. Thankfully that season is over. We now only have one or two show up daily.

But back to the ants. I've found them in both bathrooms, crawling up and down the walls like crazy. I've found them frantically running up the dining room wall. Ok, we have discovered why they are in the dining room. Apparently these ants are sugar addicts. They just can't resist their little ant hearts some Pop Tarts and jello. (Who could?) But what we can't understand is that said Pop Tarts and jello are sealed. So we've decided those ants need to go to Sugar Sanctuary (a spin-off of AA) and say, "Hello my name is ANT ("hello ANT") and I'm addicted to sugar."

Carolyn has ants running across her dresser but thinks they are thirsty little buggers who must be dying of thirst and realize there is an oasis (her water cup) in the midst of their desert. They also have an excellent communication system in place because as soon as one ant finds a drop of water, he whistles (I'm sure he does!) for the rest of the gang to come and slurp.

I've also noticed a train of ants charging up to the second floor but I don't know why they are doing so. And I don't think I really want to find out either!

But the thing that made me laugh was the Thai cleaning lady who comes and cleans for the two missionaries. She told the one missionary's wife that her house is "very clean" (kindly disregard the 17 cockroaches on the floor) and that "Thai houses are worse. Muuuuch worse."

So I'm going to count my blessings and just be thankful that we don't have mosquitoes. Or rats.

No comments: