Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Road Less Travelled.

Saturday afternoon marked the 15th commencement exercises of Emmaus Baptist Academy. As I watched the seniors graduate, for a brief moment I was taken back to my own graduation ceremony 7 years earlier. I remembered how excited I was to graduate from high school. I thought about the song my senior class sang that had these words in it:

Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave
Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful.


The commencement speaker for the afternoon also reminded me of the song my high school choir sang on my graduation day when he referred to Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken":

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

In my own life, I can see how I've chosen the road less travelled. Oh, I couldn't see it on graduation day ~ June 9, 2001 ~ and I didn't consciously tell myself I was choosing the road less travelled. But as the years have rolled by and the Lord has faithfully led me, I can echo what Mr. Frost said: that has made all the difference!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

What a great post!