Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Am Blessed!

I've been (trying!) to read through the Bible in a year; I don't think I'll mention the fact I started last January:o). There really are too many gems in Genesis and Exodus to dig out! But over the last three months, my reading has really taken off so that I'm now in Nehemiah (woohoo!). I read this verse yesterday morning and again last night:


"Yet thou in thy manifold mercies forsookest them not in the wilderness: the pillar of the cloud departed not from them by day, to lead them in the way; neither the pillar of fire by night, to shew them light, and the way wherein they should go."

Nehemiah 9:19


I literally got goosebumps up and down my arms after I read that verse. Did you catch the wording there? "In thy manifold mercies forsookest them not in the wilderness." God's mercies are so great that He didn't forsake the children of Israel in the wilderness. If it were up to me (and thankfully it was not...), I would have probably left over a million complaining people to fend for themselves for forty years. But God did not. A couple of verses later, this precious truth was found:


"Yea, forty years didst thou sustain them in the wilderness, so that they lacked nothing; their clothes waxed not old, and their feet swelled not."

Nehemiah 9:21

Doesn't that just make you want to shout?!?! For forty years God sustained them in the wilderness so they lacked nothing. Don't over look that miracle:o). Show me the closest store where I can buy shoes, clothing, and household needs that will last me for forty years and they will have my business!

But I have something better than any man-made store. I know the God who says "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills" (Psalm 50:10). I know the God who made "a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters" (Isaiah 43:16). I know the Lord who promises to be a "sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly" (Psalm 84:11).

Isn't that sweet?!? Walking along this path of life, I can rejoice that He has ordered my footsteps and that "He will keep the feet of his saints" (1 Samuel 2:9). Oh what a blessed thought!

I might not read through the Bible in a year, but I am so blessed to be able to glean the riches found in His Word. One of these years, one of these years....:o)

2 comments:

lizzykristine said...

That is a 'choice gleaning'! I love Scripture. :)

Jennifer said...

God's Word is so precious! No matter how many times we read it, we will always find new truths and see verses in a different light. No other book is like it!