Saturday, November 3, 2007

A L-O-N-G Trip.

We headed out on Thursday morning to go the the Creation Museum, but I knew we were in for it when I saw all the Mountain Dew soda and candy being loaded on to the bus! So I was (pleasantly!) surprised when the teens kept the noise level to a minimum for the first 10 hours of the trip:o).



Doesn't our bus look so small next to the big rigs?!?! It's funny how it looks huge until it's next to something even bigger:o).


The trip out was so pretty! I love driving through Pennsylvania, and this was one of the beautiful scenes I saw.

Of course the whole reason why we did this field trip was to give our teenagers a Christian perspective on science. The first thing we did was go to the planetarium, and to see all the stars, planets, and galaxies made me think of the verse, "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" It's enough to make you realize how insignificant you really are in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure most of you know this, but this is not unusual to see one of my student's taller than me:o).

The front of the museum...

We had plenty of chaperones go along, but I think (at this moment anyway!) these two were the tiredest!

After we were done in Kentucky, we headed to Dayton, Ohio to go to the (free!) Air Force Museum. It was interesting to walk through (my group made it through 4 of the 5 hangers before they called it quits... I give them credit for that since most girls aren't interested in airplanes!) If the history of the airplane is your thing, I would recommend you pay this museum a visit (and as I said, it is free!)

There was a memorial park right outside the museum...

Of course no trip is complete without a mishap, and in our case, it was a blown fuse for the headlights. We parked outside a Seven-Eleven for about an hour and the manager was gracious enough to give us free coffee! But judging by the look on their faces, these girls didn't need any (that was true enough!) and it took them several hours to calm down from all that caffeine! But all in all it was a really good trip, and I would like to go back again sometime.... just not with 30 teenagers;o).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an amazing trip! Thank you for sharing.

Breanne said...

Hey! I found your blog from Elizabeth's (twentythreeandsoaring)
I read your 'about me' and was so encouraged in my own life to live passionatly each day that God gives me. Thanks for sharing a bit of your life!

Melissa said...

That sounds like almost the exact same trip my parents just took....minus the Mountain Dew and busload of kids, of course. They went to the Creation Musuem and the Air Force Museum a few weeks ago. Sounds like a good time. :D

Abigail said...

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun! The Creation museum looks really neat, where exactly is it?
The Air Force Museum is somewhere I definitely have to tell my dad about. He was in the Air Force, so he loves that stuff, as do I. I always walk around wearing a pair of airman's wings on my jacket. : )
I'm glad you had a good time. And it's always the BEST to have mishaps on trips like this. It just creates more memories for everyone.
I know our youth group loves mishaps. We always sing songs, tell scary stories and talk and talk and talk until we are hoarse...
Good Post!

Kristi said...

I've been wanting to visit the creation museum ever since it opened. I'm glad you were able to go. Doesn't the owner have a blog?

~Kristi

Elisabeth said...

What beautoful, neat and fun pictures! :-> The museum looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

My Creation teacher talks about the creation museum alot! Was it really awesome???

Anne said...

Valerie ~ It was a great trip!!! I would highly recommend it:o).

Breanne ~Thanks for stopping by and visiting:o).

Melissa ~ I can't quite imagine your parents fitting 30 teens in their car:o). But the trip was definitely a blast and I'm glad I got to go!

Abigail ~ The Creation Museum is actually located in Petersburg, KY but it's only 1/2 hour away from Cincinnatti, OH so we just called it the "Ohio Trip" since the majority of the time was spent in Ohio! Definitely tell your dad about the Air Force Museum... it was pretty neat to walk through! As much as the trip was long, I always enjoy spending time with our teens and staying up really late at night;o).

Kristi ~ The museum was worth the trip; as much as I can figure out, I think you're talking about Kent Hovind in Florida who maintains a blog. The Creation Museum is a spin-off of Answers in Genesis which is directed by Ken Ham:o).

Elizabeth ~ Thanks for stopping by! It was a wonderful field trip to take and well worth the effort:o).

Kay ~ I was pretty impressed with it all. I mean, it's not as big as the Smithsonian, but it was worth it since everything inside the museum was from a Biblical perspective:o). You should go if you can:o).