Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Good Things.

The room I am occupying while I'm here in Central Florida has become a place of quiet for me to spend time with the Lord. The house is usually filled with "Bayley-isms" from 8:00 in the morning until 9:00 at night, so my quiet time will only be accomplished in this little room. I've enjoyed reading through a few chapters of Joshua, although I will admit it was kinda hard to follow which tribe owned what city when there's twelve tribes and they each owned alot!

As I came to a close this morning, the last two verses from Joshua 21 leapt off the page and struck me between the eyes. The first reason was because it said something different besides "so-and-so tribe owned such-and-such city and her suburbs":). But what really captivated my mind and eyes was that God's attributes were wrapped up in these two verses:

And the LORD gave them rest round about, according to all that he sware unto their fathers: and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them; the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand. There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.".

I guess it could be summed up like this:

1 - "And the LORD gave them rest round about" ~ God gives rest. When the storms of life are beating and the waves seem to shake my tiny vessel, He whispers, "Peace, be still."

2 - "according to all that he sware unto their fathers" ~ God keeps His Promises. When He promises, He provides.

3 - "and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them" ~ God protects. The devil doesn't have a chance against my God. God will triumph over my enemies.

4 - "the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand" ~ God gives victory. It's as if He's putting a cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. It's not necessary; but that's my God!!! He gives over and over and over again!

5 - "There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel;" ~ God is faithful! His word, once spoken, will be brought to pass. God is not a man in that He forgets or that He does a half-job.

6 - "all came to pass." ~ God is complete. What started at Creation ("he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made") and continued at Calvary ("It is finished") is still being done today. A missionary recently said, "If God cares about the flowers of the field and the stars in the heavens, then He cares about you as an individual so much more."

God's will for my life is perfect and He will not rest until I am completely conformed into His image. And although the road is rough at times, and thorns may cause me pain, my God only has my good in mind and does all things with a purpose. As someone once said, God is never late and seldom early, but He is always on time. Those good things He promised me will eventually all come to pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Anne,

This blog was an encouragement. The Lord really is sooo good to us, isn't He?! We miss you around here in PA, but I hope you're having fun in FL. I had a wonderful Christmas with my inlaws. They're so sweet & fun! It was great being one of the kids --> the last year for that probably since next year I'll be a Mommy :-) btw, THANK YOU so much for the beautiful maternity shirt and journal. What thoughtful gifts! I really appreciate them, and can't wait to start using both!!

Another exciting new thing in our lives is that my sister Deanna got engaged on Christmas morning!!! I can't believe just how the Lord arranged all of it so perfectly. Her future inlaws and future husband were radiant tonight after the announcement was made in church. I'm thrilled beyond words. She couldn't have asked to marry into a better family. Truly, the Lord is gracious in His guidance!

Miss & Love ya,
Johanna