Monday, September 18, 2006

An Excellent Spirit.

I told Bro. Gable I would be posting this little *commercial* here, so if you are an LVBCer or are in the southeastern PA area, I encourage you to go up and visit this week! You can choose from Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday nights... it's probably a good idea to be in your own church on Wednesday;). There! Now on to the post:o).

Bro. Paul Morrison is preaching a week of Revival Meetings for Haven Baptist Church so my co-worker and I decided to drive the 45 minutes tonight to attend services. It was a blessed evening to be in the house of God and to fellowship around God's Word with other believers. I was especially blessed to hear the harmonica special on "The Old-Fashioned Way", which is the only way! That was the first time I ever heard a special done like that and it was very nice. God's way never changes!

Anyway, Bro. Morrison is doing a series through the book of Daniel for this week and the verse he spoke on tonight was Daniel 6:3 ~
"Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm."

What a verse! Bro. Morrison noted that in the previous chapter, the queen even noticed Daniel's excellent spirit and mentioned it was greater than knowledge or understanding (which Daniel had as well).

I liked what Bro. Morrison said:
1- "Daniel's spirit was right regardless of the situation"
2 - "It's better to have an excellent spirit than an excellent performance"
3 - "When a man lets God affect him, it will be known."

I think the preacher hit the nail on the head tonight when he mentioned we often think the Bible characters were super heroes. He used the passage over in James 5:17 where it says that Elias was "a man subject to like passions as we are" and yet he had a very effective prayer life. Why? Because he allowed the Lord to lead him and guide his spirit. So if God is God (and He is), and Daniel was human (and he was), then I too can have an excellent spirit because God is not a "respecter of persons". He wants me to have an excellent spirit as much as He wanted Daniel to have an excellent spirit.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I like that second thing Brother Morrison said, "It's better to have an excellent spirit than an excellent performance." That's good. I'll remember that one while working with the teenagers. :)

I am guilty of not always having that excellent spirit. This post is a reminder that I have something in my life to work on!!

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

tell Pastor Gable I say hello the next time you see him!!!!!