Saturday, June 3, 2006

The "I"



Taking out a pretty piece of stationary this morning, I mulled over what to write to one of the graduating girls. As I pondered what advice I could pass on, a verse kept popping through my head: "For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord." The problem was I couldn't remember where it was in the book of Jeremiah. So I began what I thought was going to be a quick search through my Bible concordance. Ha. (Emphasis on HA!) I love my Bible, but the concordance is really lacking some things. After about 15 minutes and two Bibles later, I finally found the verse!!! Ahhh... what sweetness! What triumph! What a passage...
I began to read Jeremiah 29, and was filled with wonder and amazement. You see, Jeremiah wrote a letter to those who were in captivity, but the real Author of the letter was the Lord Himself. Won't you humor me for a moment and take time to receive this breath of fresh air...

Vs. 4 ~ "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, unto all that are carried away captives, whom I have caused to be carried away from Jerusalem unto Babylon;"
Vs. 7 ~ "And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives..."
Vs. 11 ~ "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."
Vs. 12 ~ "Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you."
Vs. 14 ~ "And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the LORD; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive."

Generally speaking, we tend to say things like: "JOY is Jesus, Others, You" or "There's no me in team" or some cute, catchy phrase like that. But this is one I that demands focus and attention. This is the Lord Himself, calmly stating He allowed the captivity to take place, and He will be the one to take them back out of captivity. Pardon me, but if God put them into captivity, and promised to take them out of captivity, then why would I think for a second He won't or can't do the same for me?

In a day and age where "it's all about me", I tend to think it really needs to be "all about HIM". But that's just what I think;)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Great post!! :)

I saw a comment you left on my friend Courtney's page. So I wanted to come visit your page. :)

Anne said...

Welcome Jessica:D I tend to do the same thing... I see someone comment on a blog so I click on over and visit them!